Adobe MAX 2011 is just around the corner. Every year I feel the same: how fast the last year has passed! I guess I have a better feeling of how the time is passing by counting the MAXs :D
Anyway let’s get back to the event itself. There are many reasons for wanting to attend Adobe MAX (learning new products and technologies, staying in touch with the latest and greatest, and networking just to name few) but if you plan to start mobile development or to learn new tricks then here is a list I put together.
- Getting Started with ActionScript 3.0 (Lab on Monday, October 3, 2:45 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.). If you are new to Flash Platform mobile development then this lab will help you learn ActionScript 3.0 the language used for creating Flash applications including those running on mobile and tablets.
- Introduction to Flex (Lab on Monday, October 3, 2:45 p.m. – 4:15 p.m. and Tuesday, October 4, 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.). If you are new to the Flash Platform, then understanding how the open source Flex framework works will help you a lot.
- Flex Mobile Boot Camp (Lab on Monday, October 3, 2:45 p.m. – 6:45 p.m. and Tuesday, October 4, 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.). This boot camp will teach you the basics of Flex and Flash Builder mobile features.
- Developing High-Performance 2D Mobile Games with Adobe AIR (Lab on Monday, October 3, 12:45 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. and Tuesday, October 4, 3:00 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.). If gaming is your poison and you are new to our platform then this lab is for you.
Intermediate / Advanced
- Flash Professional CS5.5 for Mobile – Android and iOS (Lab on Monday, October 3, 2:45 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.).
- Building a Flex Application for Tablets (Lab on Monday, October 3, 2:45 p.m. – 4:15 p.m., Wednesday, October 5, 8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m., and Wednesday, October 5, 11:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.). In this hands-on session you will build a complete Flex app for tablets starting from scratch.
- Advanced Mobile Application Development (Lab on Monday, October 3, 5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. and Wednesday, October 5, 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.). This lab is presented by the guys behind Conqu – one of the best task management apps for iOS, Android, and PlayBook built with AIR, Flex, and Flash Builder. So you will get a chance to learn from the best.
- Developing an iOS Application with Flex and Adobe AIR (Lab on Tuesday, October 4, 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., Wednesday, October 5, 1:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m., and Wednesday, October 5, 4:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.).This 90-minute lab will cover how to create and simulate an iPad application in Flash Builder, and will walk you through the steps of creating and deploying IPAs onto your personal devices.”
- Deep dive into Molehill (Stage 3D) (Session on Monday, October 3, 5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.). Although this feature is not yet available for mobile it will be soon. If you plan to do advanced 3D stuff then you shouldn’t miss this one.
- Flash gaming deep dive (Lab on Sunday, October 2, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.). You will learn the ins and outs of creating games using popular game frameworks like Flixel and PushButton Engine. You’ll also discover how to use Molehill to create stunning 3D for games, and we’ll show you how to use advanced techniques such as blitting to help with performance.
- Programming a 3D First-Person Shooter Game in Flash (Session on Tuesday, October 4, 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.). Learn more about how to build the next generation of action games with the new Flash Stage 3D API. This session will cover the key steps required to create advanced first-person shooter gameplay, such as creating a scene and adding a person, movement, shooting, camera following, animations, and more, all in the context of 3D.
- Mobile Apps from 0 to 90: Powered by ColdFusion (Lab on Tuesday, October 4, 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.). This intermediate hands-on is all about building mobile apps that consume ColdFusion data.
- Unit Testing ActionScript and Flex (Lab on Monday, October 3, 12:45 p.m. – 2:15 p.m., Tuesday, October 4, 8:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m., Tuesday, October 4, 12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m., and Wednesday, October 5, 4:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.). No matter how ninja you are (or you think you are) bugs are to be found everywhere. Join this lab to learn about unit testing for ActionScript and Flex.
I want to call out these sessions:
- Design to Release: Building a multiscreen mobile application (Session on Tuesday, October 4, 8:30 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.) presented by Renaun Erickson.
- Adobe AIR App Demo Showcase for Sony Tablet Devices (Session on Tuesday, October 4, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.) presented by Ryan Stewart and Taichi Takayanagi. Watch live demos of innovative applications built by your peers that take advantage of the unique capabilities of the new Android Sony Tablet devices.
- Deploying Flash Professional Content Across Screens (Session on Wednesday, October 5, 1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.) presented by Paul Trani. Discover specific workflow enhancements available in Adobe Flash Professional CS5.5. This session steps through the process of deploying Flash Professional content on mobile platforms, including Android, BlackBerry, and iOS.
My team has been working lately on a number of mobile applications so we have lots of experience earned first-hand. I encourage you to attend Renaun’s, Ryan’s, and Paul’s sessions.
See you there and don’t forget you’ll be able to watch the keynotes online if you don’t plan to attend the event in person. Let’s rock the house once again!